Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » When the Mirror Shows 'What's Right'
When the Mirror Shows 'What's Right'
777Date: Sunday, 24 Oct 2010, 13.56 | Message # 1
Like Sharing
Group: User
User ID: 777
Awards: 0 [+] Loading Awards...
"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

As a naturopathic physician focused on weight management, eating disorders and other chronic health challenges, I am a doctor who uses a holistic approach, treating body, mind and spirit together. In my 12 years of practice, I can sum up my patients' biggest challenges in taking better care of themselves in two ways:

1. There is no "magic bullet" or "quick fix"
Every day, we encounter messages telling us how we should look and feel, and what we should consume to look and feel this way. They make it sound so simple. But one truth is that there are no quick fixes or magic bullets to health and well-being. The other truth is that we get to declare our independence. We say who we are, how we should look, how we want to feel.

2. Health begins in our own mind
We have to create new habits to replace the old habits that don't work for us. We can set priorities and think good thoughts about ourselves. This starts in our own mind.

For example, everyone can appreciate the beauty of a sunset or flowers blooming in the spring or birds in flight; we honor the beauty of nature. So what happens when we remember that we're just as much a part of nature -- just as magnificent in our design -- as the sun, the flowers and the birds? When we start to see ourselves that way, we find a way to get back in harmony with the natural forces all around us. We start to make decisions about what is really important in our lives and do things that add to our own natural beauty.

And we know that things are shifting when we can look in the mirror and see "what's right" instead of "what's wrong."

Taking care of the basics
Health and vitality don't come from a pill or bottle. Health is physical, mental and spiritual well-being. Health is about everything we do -- and we can achieve it by taking care of the basic things in life:

-- Thinking of "food as medicine." Consuming whole, nourishing foods and eating in moderation -- small, frequent meals throughout the day
-- Drinking eight glasses of water daily, avoiding sodas and caffeine
-- Getting daily movement or exercise for at least 30 minutes
-- Sleeping seven to eight hours each night
-- Nurturing and accepting ourselves for the magnificence of who we are

Whether my patients are overweight or underweight, fatigued or depressed, I start with these basic recommendations. I have them incorporate one step at a time while keeping in mind that the journey is much more rich and important than the destination. By creating new habits that focus on healthy living, my patients reach their ideal weight, have more energy, decrease anxiety and feel better about themselves. This works for all of us. As family, friends and children see us making healthy changes in our lives, we become an inspiration to them and to ourselves.

Be well,
Dr. Tilli

Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » When the Mirror Shows 'What's Right'
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Forum Statistics
Chrysler to build ZF'...
SEAL OFFLINE(SEAL OFFLIN...
Tips Menghias Kamar Agar...
Strategi Jitu Agar Lekas...
Tips Rahasia ML ...
Masyarakat Bisa Tuntut P...