Date: 28 Apr 2024
Welcome, Guest
Complete, all you can do here.
Sonicly

[ New Messages · Forum Rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » Living the Green Life: Five 'EcoPrinciples'
Living the Green Life: Five 'EcoPrinciples'
777Date: Sunday, 24 Oct 2010, 13.49 | Message # 1
Like Sharing
Group: User
User ID: 777
Awards: 0 [+] Loading Awards...
Everyone knows that you can't always get what you want, but if you're trying to live a more sustainable life, well, then why shouldn't you get what you want? It should be easy to go green! No one should ever feel like it's too expensive, too complicated or just too difficult.

I learned exactly what that feels like when my husband and I relocated to Northern California in 2002. We began looking for a house in which we could live a healthier life, but instead we found a sad lack of affordable green homes. So, after months of frustration, we decided to build our own house.

After our dismal experience with house hunting, it wasn't too surprising that when we began building our green home, friends and colleagues started to ask if I could design one like it for them. Hearing that other people were having trouble finding good green living solutions helped lead to my decision to start my own architecture firm, Michelle Kaufmann Designs, with the goal of making thoughtful, sustainable design more accessible.

Five 'EcoPrinciples'
Ever since then, my work has been focused on making it easy for people to go green. To make our houses sustainable, we design each so that it incorporates all five of our "EcoPrinciples": smart design, eco materials, energy efficiency, water conservation and healthy environment. Each one of these EcoPrinciples can also be incorporated into your everyday life to make it more sustainable, too.

1. Smart Design
Smart design is the way to proactively set yourself up for successful green living. In our work at Michelle Kaufmann Designs, this means designing to use less, as well as designing for longevity, flexibility and beauty. You can use these same ideas as general rules to live by: Maximize the utility of everything, think long-term, remain flexible and always strive for beauty. Smart design is the foundation of any green life.

2. Eco Materials
Our second EcoPrinciple, eco materials, is an important one. As you know, we are living in a material world. That's why it's essential to consider the nature of all the material in your life, making sure everything is earth-friendly, from its content to the way it's produced. Choose materials that are renewable, recyclable and reusable. To reduce waste, buy things made from long-lasting, low-maintenance materials.

3. Energy Efficiency
When it comes to energy efficiency, there are many smart and simple things you can do at home. Switch to longer-lasting light bulbs (CFLs, LEDs). Set the thermostat a little lower in the winter and wear a sweater around the house. Install sun-shading solutions around windows, so you can let the breeze in during the summer but keep the sun out.

4. Water Conservation
Water conservation is a crucial EcoPrinciple since water is such a vital resource; every living thing on this planet depends on a clean, abundant water supply, and that dependency connects us all. There are so many easy ways to save water in your everyday life. You can start by installing a simple aerator in all your faucets, turning off the water while brushing your teeth, swapping your old showerhead for a low-flow variety and landscaping with drought-tolerant plants.

5. Healthy Environment
Going green is as much about personal well-being as it is about the planet's well-being. A healthy environment and lifestyle -- including everything from using no-VOC paint and finishes in your home to eating nutritious, balanced meals -- is essential to green living. A sustainable life strikes a balance between the demands of work, concern for the planet and its people, and maintaining health, beauty and joy in your daily existence.

Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » Living the Green Life: Five 'EcoPrinciples'
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Forum Statistics
Chrysler to build ZF'...
SEAL OFFLINE(SEAL OFFLIN...
Tips Menghias Kamar Agar...
Strategi Jitu Agar Lekas...
Tips Rahasia ML ...
Masyarakat Bisa Tuntut P...
Tanaman Berkhasiat Obat ...
Bahaya Onani Bagi Remaja...
Dicari, Sonicly Designer