• Page 1 of 1
Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » Healthy, Not a Health Nut
Healthy, Not a Health Nut
777Date: Sunday, 24 Oct 2010, 13.28 | Message # 1
Like Sharing
Group: User
User ID: 777
Awards: 0 [+] Loading Awards...
Today, and for the last 30-plus years, I am extremely proud to say that exercise, eating right and getting proper rest have been an integral part of my life. They are my life. But wait: I am not a health nut! I do indulge myself at times. Standing in line at the checkout counter, I often can't pass up a candy bar or similar item within reach. I love ice cream ... and potato chips. However, I am presently more health-conscious than ever before. Approaching 61 years of age, I have never felt better, ever. I awake in the morning energized, alive and ready to tackle the day ahead.

It has not always been so.

My journey to better health began in 1978. I was not overweight. I had no medical malady that would benefit from an exercise regimen. I did drink too much, however. That year, a challenging, breathless jog around my neighborhood block -- a long one, I might add -- gradually morphed into a lifestyle dependent on exercise. Dependent only because I enjoy it so. A long seven years later, I put the drink down for good. I've been sober ever since, and attribute that decision as crucial to turning around my lifestyle.

I still fondly recall my first 10K a short while later -- a run to raise money for a local drug-treatment program. Crossing the finish line, I was overcome with tears. For the first time in my life, I had accomplished a goal I had worked so hard for, and the money from my entry fee was going toward a good cause. Today, I bike, run, play softball and enjoy a little tennis. I am learning to swim for the first time (with the help of a coach). This discipline has proven difficult and stretched my patience, but I'm committed to mastering it.

How do I get started?
I am often asked for advice on how to get started exercising. My answer really is quite simple: First, find a form of exercise you like, because you won't do it if you don't enjoy it. Commit to doing it regularly. Set a goal (be realistic!). Proceed slowly. Listen to your body (it's OK to miss a day -- just be sure to pick up your routine again). Find a partner to share it with. And, last but not least, laugh and have fun doing it!

Simple, yes. But do it one little step at a time.

Exercise is a passion I love to share with others. It affords me the opportunity to travel, compete against myself, extend myself to new heights, meet new people, see new places, laugh and have fun. One of my recent races was a perfect case in point. Talking with a fellow participant, as is my custom, while we gathered before the start, I could easily detect that she was nervous, doubting her ability to finish the race. I tried to lessen her fears by imparting my own experiences with nerves in 31 years of running. After my finish, I retraced the course, found her and "brought her in." Not only did she finish the race, she did well. Her ear-to-ear smile as she received a finisher's medal was priceless.

Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » Healthy, Not a Health Nut
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Forum Statistics
Chrysler to build ZF'...
SEAL OFFLINE(SEAL OFFLIN...
Tips Menghias Kamar Agar...
Strategi Jitu Agar Lekas...
Tips Rahasia ML ...
Masyarakat Bisa Tuntut P...
Tanaman Berkhasiat Obat ...
Bahaya Onani Bagi Remaja...