• Page 1 of 1
Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » The Ultimate Mind/Body Workout
The Ultimate Mind/Body Workout
777Date: Sunday, 24 Oct 2010, 13.59 | Message # 1
Like Sharing
Group: User
User ID: 777
Awards: 0 [+] Loading Awards...
Some days I'm swinging my arms like an ape; other times I'm a snake, ready to spring onto the neck of my opponent. The martial art I study, Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen, is from Indonesia and is based on effective self-defense and the beautiful fighting moves of animals. For nearly 25 years I've been kicking and punching and a whole lot more. I started because I wanted a fitness regimen that wasn't boring -- and I even swore I'd quit if it were. But training has not only kept my interest; I've also stayed fit, gained confidence, learned discipline, developed teaching skills and made lifelong friends.

Overcoming the real opponent
Classes provide a great cardio workout and always begin with meditation. I've learned that sometimes the most difficult opponent is not the one who hits the hardest, but the one lurking in my own mind. Through training I've gained strength, but not only the kind that comes from building muscle. The intangible results have been the longest lasting and the most important.

The first time I was asked to perform in front of the school and fear was no longer sending shock waves to my belly, or when I got hit a little too hard and anger didn't take me for a bumpy ride, or when I began teaching classes on my own and my shyness had unexpectedly melted away -- those were times I felt strong from the inside in ways I knew would translate to life outside the training hall.

Which school is right for you?
I know the appeal of martial arts doesn't quite hit everyone (bad pun intended!), but I've found an art that works for me and a teacher whom I love and trust. For newbies searching for a mind/body workout, there are so many arts to choose from that it's important to explore before making a commitment or ruling anything out.

Walking into a school can be intimidating. Look for a place where you feel comfortable and welcomed. Some arts are more vigorous; others are less so. A good school will emphasize cooperative learning over competition. Are the instructors encouraging to everyone -- not just the standouts?

Benefits for kids
You might want a school that supports parents and kids training together -- it's a great way to bond. The benefits for kids in martial arts are exponential: They learn valuable skills that will help them navigate the minefields of bullying, peer pressure and dating. And for kids with focus challenges, experts say a structured environment in which the rules stay the same can benefit those diagnosed with ADD or ADHD.

Last week I came across two of my female students chatting while stretching before class. Their faces were animated and I wondered if they were talking about their upcoming tests, or about the tough class we had had the previous week, or about the new student -- at 200 pounds plus, a looming challenge. "Everything OK?" I asked.

"I just signed on for exercise," said Sarah. "I didn't know how much more to this there would be!"

"Me too," I said, reflecting back on 25 years.

Louise Rafkin is a fourth-degree black belt and journalist whose work has been published in the San Francisco Chronicle, the New York Times and Health Magazine.

Learn more about Studio Naga, Louise Rafkin's Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen school in north Oakland, California, at www.studionaga.com

For a complete list of schools nationwide offering Poekoelan Tjimindie Tulen, see www.poekoelan.com

The National Women's Martial Arts Foundation has members of many martial arts throughout the country. See www.nwmaf.org

Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » The Ultimate Mind/Body Workout
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Forum Statistics
Chrysler to build ZF'...
SEAL OFFLINE(SEAL OFFLIN...
Tips Menghias Kamar Agar...
Strategi Jitu Agar Lekas...
Tips Rahasia ML ...
Masyarakat Bisa Tuntut P...
Tanaman Berkhasiat Obat ...
Bahaya Onani Bagi Remaja...