Date: 06 May 2024
Welcome, Guest
Complete, all you can do here.
Sonicly

[ New Messages · Forum Rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » And ROW!
And ROW!
777Date: Sunday, 24 Oct 2010, 13.01 | Message # 1
Like Sharing
Group: User
User ID: 777
Awards: 0 [+] Loading Awards...
"So you row competitively? Like in a boat?" That's what I asked one of my new Seattle friends when she mentioned the sport she was involved in. Growing up in a small mountain town in Northern California -- landlocked, save the occasional river or stream -- rowing was not in my vocabulary. I pictured her and her teammates with oars in hand, rowing their hearts out in a wooden canoe, and couldn't understand why she would put so much time and energy into such a ridiculous sport.

Then one day, not too long after this conversation, I was walking by a bulletin board that had a flier for Lake Union Crew's "Learn to Row" class. I noticed it was starting in a few days, so I tore off the phone-number tab and placed a call.

It was a call that changed my life. Learning how to row has been one of the best things I've done for myself: I found a sport that I love, I'm physically stronger than I have been in 15 years, and most important, I have found a community. Not to mention learning a whole new language. Who knew "way enough" meant stop rowing, or that I would start referring to myself as a "port"?

Rowing as a physical and psychological sport
Contrary to popular belief, rowing is not an upper-body sport. It is an excellent full-body workout that emphasizes the core and lower-body muscles. It is low impact -- perfect for people who are getting back into sports if they have been injured or have knee or joint problems. It can be aerobic with long, steady-state rowing, or all-out anaerobic when you sprint 1,000 meters in less than four minutes. You can challenge yourself for years trying to get that elusive perfect stroke while increasing your physical strength and stamina the whole time.

Rowing not only challenged me physically, but psychologically as well. When people think of a traditional rower, it is someone who is young, tall and extremely fit. I was 5-foot-2, 38, and concerned I weighed too much. I struggled through "Learn to Row," trying to figure out how to use my body in the most efficient way possible since I was not the rower "type." This challenge built my body confidence in a way that nothing else had prior. I have learned to work with my body instead of against it for the first time in my life, which is one of the main reasons I continue to row.

Where teamwork really is everything
I also realized how competitive I am. If you had told me three years ago that I would be dedicating myself to any sport three times a week, including a 7:30 a.m. practice on Saturday mornings, I would have laughed heartily. Now it is part of my routine. I have watched people of all shapes, sizes and ages push themselves to their physical and psychological limits in competitions, which encourages my competitive spirit much more than winning a medal does.

The most rewarding part of rowing at Lake Union Crew, however, has been the sense of community. I did not take "Learn to Row" to meet new people, but I highly recommend it as a great way to do so. Some of my closest friends I met through rowing. The atmosphere of teamwork at the boathouse is inspiring, and the friendships I have developed make the push for competition and fun that much stronger. We not only row together, we celebrate birthdays, weddings and other life events together. It has brought a whole new meaning to the word "team."

Shawna Kelley holds a B.A. in psychology and a master's in communications. When not rowing, she works with organizations on their marketing and communications. She started rowing two years ago with Lake Union Crew and continues to be an integral part of the boathouse both on and off the water. Learn more about Lake Union Crew at www.lakeunioncrew.com.

Sonicly Forum » Sonicly Share » Health » And ROW!
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Forum Statistics
Chrysler to build ZF'...
SEAL OFFLINE(SEAL OFFLIN...
Tips Menghias Kamar Agar...
Strategi Jitu Agar Lekas...
Tips Rahasia ML ...
Masyarakat Bisa Tuntut P...
Tanaman Berkhasiat Obat ...
Bahaya Onani Bagi Remaja...
Dicari, Sonicly Designer